Saturday, February 25, 2012

My Annual Academy Award Predictions for 2012

Post your predictions in the comments and let's see who comes closest.

The Academy Awards are tomorrow, so I wanted to get posted my predictions. Before I do, however, I'll give you my personal favorite movies from these that I would highly recommend you see, if you haven't already: The Artists, The Descendants, Midnight in Paris, and Moneyball. Many of the others are also quite good (Iron Lady, Girl w/t Dragon Tattoo, The Help, Hugo, etc.) and definitely worth seeing, but the four I listed as my favorites this year should not be missed.

OK, so on to my predictions:

Best Picture
- The Artist - MY PREDICTED WINNER
- The Descendants
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
- The Help
- Hugo
- Midnight in Paris
- Moneyball
- The Tree of Life
- War Horse

Best Actor
- Demian Bichir (A Better Life)
- George Clooney (The Descendants)
- Jean Dujardin (The Artist) - MY PREDICTED WINNER
- Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)
- Brad Pitt (Moneyball)

Best Actress
- Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs)
- Viola Dais (The Help) - MY PREDICTED WINNER
- Rooney Mars (The Girl w/t Dragon Tattoo)
- Meryl Streep (Iron Lady)
- Michelle Williams (My Week with Marilyn)

Best Director
- The Artist - MY PREDICTED WINNER
- The Descendants
- Hugo
- Midnight in Paris
- The Tree of Life

Best Supporting Actor
- Kenneth Branagh (My Week with Marilyn)
- Jonah Hill (Moneyball)
- Nick Nolte (Warrior)
- Christopher Plummer (Beginners) - MY PREDICTED WINNER
- Max von Sydow (Extremely Loud & Incredible Close)

Supporting Actress
- Berenice Bejo (The Artist)
- Jessica Chastain (The Help)
- Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids)
- Janet McTeer (Albert Nobbs)
- Octavia Spencer (The Help) - MY PREDICTED WINNER

I feel pretty good about my predictions, with the exception of Best Actor, that one could just as easily go to Clooney, so it was a close one for me there.

Think I'm off? I hope you'll post your predictions in the comments below (or email me with your picks), and we'll see who comes closest.

Kevin


5 comments:

allyson miller said...

Best pic: descendants
Best actor: George clooney
Best actress: viola dais
Best director: the artist
Best supporting actor: Christopher Plummer
Best supporting actress: Melissa McCarthy


There are a few I haven't seen, my best supporting actress pick is more hopeful then realistic.

Kevin Carmony said...

I got 5 of 6. I only missed Best Actress. Allyson, you got 2 of 6. :-)

Kevin

klarue said...

Nice job, Kevin. I'm glad that Hugo got a bunch of awards in other categories... ;-)

KLR

Bartski said...

So, what's the secret?

Do you just pick the movies/actors you'd be least interested in seeing? Most of the nominees would tie for that honor in my book...

Kevin Carmony said...

LOL...no. I've seen pretty much all of the movies (movie buff here, I see most movies), and know how Hollywood ("the Academy") thinks, having lived there for several years. I actually enjoyed most all of the movies that were up for awards this year.

Kevin