Friday, November 30, 2007

Ron Paul - Right Message, Wrong Messenger

As a Libertarian (and as someone in the tech field), you'd think I might be supporting Ron Paul for President. I'm not, and it's not because I don't want to "waste my vote" on someone who I feel doesn't have a chance of getting the nomination. I DO think people who vote for Ron Paul could better "invest" their vote elsewhere, but that's not why I am not supporting Ron Paul. I just don't think he'd make a good leader of America.

As a Libertarian, I AM for many of Ron Paul's "ideals," but when you vote for President, you vote for A PERSON, not just their ideals. For me, Ron Paul does not have the leadership skills I look for in a President. He can have all the right ideals, be very passionate about them, and even be an honest and likable person, but if he can't LEAD effectively, and has bad ideas, then his influence will be nominal. (Ron Paul has only successfully had one of his bills passed in all the years he has served in congress.) I appreciate his honest, direct, tell-it-like-it-is approach. I think he's a very ethical and sincere man, but some of his IDEAS for executing on his IDEALS worry me.

Some will argue, "He MUST know how to lead, look at all the support he has! Look at the money he's raised! HE WON A POLL ON THE INTERNET!" The support he does have is for his IDEALS, but that will only take him so far. Ron Paul, the man, and his ideas for executing on those ideals, is what will keep him in single digits.

I may agree with many of the things other Libertarians say, such as Penn Gillette or Tom Leykis, but would I want them for President??? This is one of the big challenges Libertarians face, a lack of good, electable leaders.

Believe me, I LONG for the day I can vote for a Libertarian for President, but it won't be Ron Paul. Until then, I'll vote for the right PERSON who comes CLOSEST to my ideals.

Kevin

PS:
As a youth growing up, when I'd play basketball with my friends, we had a saying, "Scoreboard!" We'd use that anytime we'd win a game, and the other team would complain about why they lost. They'd always have all sorts of excuses, and we'd just reply with, "Scoreboard!" Suggesting, in the end, that's what matters. I'm sorry you had a bad day, I'm sorry your jump shot wasn't dropping, I'm sorry you couldn't find your lucky socks, but all that matters in the end is the score. I know I'm going to want to say that to all my Ron Paul friends, who keep telling me how Ron Paul really IS going to win and that the polls don't show his true support. They have a million reasons why he's the best, and a million more why no one seems to know it yet (rigged straw polls, media bias, conspiracy theories, blah, blah). If Ron Paul has what it takes to lead America, he SHOULD have what it takes to sell his ideas. I look forward to early next year when I can just say one word to my Ron Paul friends...Scoreboard. (I'll go on record here that Ron Paul will not win a single state's Primary or Caucus. OK, the whining polls are now open...I'm sure we'll see them start up below...)

21 comments:

ilovetheconstitution said...

Look, the entire election is Ron Paul vs everyone else. Just look at your article here, do you offer alternatives? Nope. You just attack Ron Paul, and not even on the issues.

So tell me, who is it that is closer to your ideas and you think is a good leader. Cuz I have yet to see 1 single viable alternative.

And that is what the scoreboard says. You can talk about score all you want, but the 2 teams are Ron Paul vs the establishment. The question is, which team are you on?

Kevin Carmony said...

Anyone who follows my blog knows who I support. Mitt Romney. In MY opinion, he's a strong leader, as shown by his service in both the public and, more importantly, private sector.

I'm not telling you to not vote for Ron Paul, I'm simply saying he does not inspire ME to want to follow him. His IDEALS do, but not his ideas, personality or leadership style. He's fun to watch, but I wouldn't vote for him to lead America.

Kevin

ilovetheconstitution said...

So buying straw polls is the showing of a strong leader? Not answering a single question straight forward in the debate aside from the abortion question(and I do think he is sincere on that question, probably the only one).

He never even answers a question, and that is the sign of good leadership qualities?

The man can't even answer simple questions like if he has authority to go to war. He always answers "I would ask these people". But the time for learning the constitution is before you run for president. I know the president doesn't have authority to declare war, it's in the constitution plain as day for everyone to read. Why would he need lawyers? It's been in there for over 200 years now, it hasn't changed. Didn't he take a civics or American history course?

The constitution is the law for the government, as set forward by the people. If he doesn't understand the law, then how is he fit to president? How is anyone who can't answer basic constitutional questions fit to be in office? How can you expect him to do his duty to uphold the constitution when he doesn't even understand basic highschool questions. I'm pretty sure I remember that question on a test in highschool American History about declaring war. And "ask the lawyers" was not even a choice.

These are not the signs of good leadership. These are the signs of getting shafted.

Kevin Carmony said...

Yep, just as expected, here come the excuses for Ron...

Score board!

Kevin

ilovetheconstitution said...

Oh, I thought you meant you went around saying scoreboard after everything was said and done, not before. But hey, go ahead and keep pointing out the scoreboard with the clock running, it's gonna be funny when you get earholed from the side.

I don't need to make excuses for Ron Paul, the man speaks for himself. I pointed out why I don't think Romney even comes close to deserving the spot. And like a normal Romney supporter, you got nothing real to say.

Kevin Carmony said...

I've learned there's no point in trying to have a conversation with a RP supporter. They resort to personal attacks, just as you've done.

I write this blog for my friends and family. I have been asked why, when they know I'm such a die-hard Libertarian, I am not for Ron Paul. I addressed that here. I didn't attack him, I just said he's not my cup of tea because I PERSONALLY don't think he has the leadership skills of others.

I respect your right to vote for RP. He's just not MY choice.

Kevin

Kevin Carmony said...

By the way, why don't you put your name in your profile? It's easy to go around trashing people with a cloak of anonymity. You could be a Hillary plant for all I know. ;-)

Kevin

ilovetheconstitution said...

You aren't trying to have a conversation when you respond with "Scoreboard".

As for hillary plant, I thought it was said that the Ron Paul supporters were the crazy kooky conspiracy theorists.

Go ahead and read my blog, I can assure you it's nothing hillary would like, because as the name here says, it's about the constitution. You'll see I get straight to the issues and leave the politics behind.

ilovetheconstitution said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rm-AUMJ6Ko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnFbTklzPEo

Is this what you mean by scoreboard?

ilovetheconstitution said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpq5rhrrCiM

Yeah, all about the scoreboard.

Kevin Carmony said...

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I mean. It works like this...

1. Team A plays Team B.

2. Team A loses.

3. Team A whines. "Bad ref's! The sun was in my eye! They're bigger than us! It's all rigged!!!"

4. Team B rolls eyes, says "Scoreboard!", walks away, goes home, and eats dinner.

Why don't you just focus on winning, not whining? Oh, that's right, the straw polls are rigged. (rolling eyes)

Kevin

PS: During the last republican debate, Ron Paul mentioned a rally where he had 5,000 supporters. CNN busted him on this, because they were there and said there were 2,000. If you have a problem with St. Petersburg's straw polling system, then go talk to them. Oh, wait, better not...you'll need some excuses come next year.

ilovetheconstitution said...

If you think whats in those clips is ok, then there is much point in talking to you. He's gonna be exposed, because the game ain't over by a long shot.

You can make up your own scoreboard and say anything. But sorry, it ain't reality.

I am focused on winning, thats why I came here and exposed you.

ilovetheconstitution said...

And btw, it's already been shown that CNN lied about that. The 5,000 number was from mulitple media sources, sorry.

I think the fact you even make these arguments pretty much says it all.

Kevin Carmony said...

"Expose" me?

You're SOOO proving my point about RP supporters. Because I don't happen to think RP has leadership qualities, you need to expose me? Am I part of some conspiracy? Or could it just be that someone honestly doesn't see RP as a leader?

Hey, I have an idea, why don't YOU expose YOURSELF? I never post anonymously anywhere on the web.

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Ron Paul already has the wrap as a nut job, and his supporters certainly don't help him, as evidenced by ilove.

Zman

Kevin Carmony said...

Ron Paul is much more intelligent than most of his supporters. As I say, I like his ideals, and he's even a good guy, I just don't think his skills lie in the area of "leadership."

Kevin

Kevin Carmony said...

From here on out, I will only publish comments from those who share their full identity. If someone is going to sling mud, I'd like to know who it is. There are plenty of other places on the net for Anonymous Cowards to post.

Kevin

Kevin Carmony said...

http://members.forbes.com/forbes/2007/1015/074.html

Kevin Carmony said...


Ron Paul's Secret Highway


Kevin

Travis said...

I see you Kevin and completely agree, outside of the fact that RP may or may not be a good president if you don't support him then you are " the man, Illuminati, new world order and if there was something even more crazy than those you would be it as well.

Kevin Carmony said...

I can see myself getting behind his son Rand one day.

Kevin