Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Xandros Remains Out of Touch

Xandros pretends to be moving Freespire to Debian, when in reality, all they are doing is using the Freespire brand as the free version of Xandros. Because Xandros is based on Debian, not Ubuntu, this was the easiest way to do this without using any engineers.

The real news here is that Xandros will finally have a free version of their OS, albeit several days late and several dollars short. If Linspire was too late with our move to a free version with Freespire three years ago, it's WAY too late for the struggling Xandros just doing this now.

Xandros remains irrelevant, out of touch, and I predict will continue to struggle. Ubuntu, Red Hat and Novel will continue to dominate the space.

Kevin

PS: An Anonymous Coward asked me to post a graph with Dating DNA. Happy to. Amazing what I've been able to accomplish with basically a hobby in one year with virtually no money compared to the tens of millions Linspire and Xandros have plowed through. I remember Michael Robertson making fun of a start up company that blew through $10M and had nothing to show for it. I wonder if he still makes those snide remarks today? =)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right.

Kubuntu Computer Geeks said...

Yea Kevin You are right and with CNR (Crap never Ran) not even close to being usable Xandros will just fall along to the wayside just like Linspire did after you left.

Kevin Carmony said...

An Anonymous Coward asked me to post a graph with Dating DNA. Happy to (see PS added to post).

Amazing what I've been able to accomplish with basically a hobby in one year with virtually no money compared to the tens of millions Linspire and Xandros have plowed through.

I remember Michael Robertson making fun of a start up company that blew through $10M and had nothing to show for it. I wonder if he still makes those snide remarks today? =)

Anonymous said...

Robertson is a tool. I worked with him at mp3.com. A braggart and blowhard to be sure.

Kevin Carmony said...

To Anonymous Coward & MR Kiss-up: Put your name to your post, and I'm happy to post anything you have to say. I'm sure I can guess who you are, as I can count on one hand those who would rise up to defend someone who files a false police report against good people. You're a pathetic lot, but by all means, feel free to stand up and defend those actions by attaching your name.

Kevin Carmony (my real name =)

Anonymous said...

wooo... I thought the same thing about Linspire. Not much to show in the end. A few remaining improvements that came from the outside I can name explicitly. The spell check for firefox that was added-worthy improvement worth funding. Then Linspire also funded wine... I don't know how big this contribution really was. However Code Weavers and Wine have improved greatly over the years. What was obtained for the 25 million dollars or so that appears to have been spent is pathetic. We should have been able to do something with a fraction of that amount.

Anonymous said...

LOL, and with the Dating DNA website, we have one developer working full time and that is it. Seems like we're doing a lot with very little.